No. 1, Doctor Lane, Gole Market, Delhi-110001
Today is Sunday, July 14th, 2024
+91 98103 54277

Request a Call Back

We’re here to help and answer any question you might have. We look forward to hearing from you.


Need Instant Solution, Call Now

+91 98103 54277

FSSAI Registration

  • Are you a petty retailer, hawker, itinerant vendor or a temporary stall holder. Get FSSAI certificate online through us.
  • CA Accredited Guidance At Every Process.
  • No Hidden Charges, 100% Transparent Pricing

Frequently Asked Question

What are the eligibility criteria for obtaining FSSAI Central License?

Following food business operators (FBO) need to apply for FSSAI Central License:

  1. FBO (restaurants, retailer, distributor, supplier) with an annual turnover of above Rs. 20 Crores
  2. Manufacturing and/or processing units of vegetable oil with a capacity of over 2 MT per day
  3. Dhaba, club, canteen and other food vending establishments with branches spread in more than 1 state and an annual turnover of more than Rs. 12 Lakhs- They need to have 1 central license where Head office is located and State License for each unit in the state where their units are located
  4. Hotels rated 5 star or more
  5. 100% Export oriented units involved in food production or processing
  6. All importers (including the import of food ingredients or additives)
  7. Caterers working under Central Government or related agencies such as Railways, Airlines and airport, seaport, Defence etc.
  8. Storages with a capacity of more than 50,000 MT
  9. Dairy Units (including chilling units) with a capacity to handle or process, over 50,000 litres per day
  10. A slaughtering capacity of over 50 large animals or more than 150 small animals or more than 1000 poultry birds per day
  11. All food processing units other than above including re-packers (excluding the grains, pulses & cereals milling units) with a capacity of over 2 MT per day
  12. All FBOs involved in producing an item of food, additive or its ingredient, using some new process or technology, whose safety standards has not been established yet by FSSAI; REFER FSSAI Eligibility.pdf

What are the eligibility criteria for obtaining FSSAI State License?

Following food business operators (FBO) need to apply for FSSAI State License:

  1. FBO (supplier, distributor, retailer, food vending establishments or Dhaba, Club, Canteen, Restaurants) with an annual turnover above Rs. 12 Lakhs but upto Rs. 20 crores
  2. Proprietary Foods
  3. Manufacturing and/or processing units of vegetable oil with a capacity below 2 MT and a turnover of Rs. 12 Lakhs to Rs. 20 Crores annually
  4. Hotels of 4 star ratings or less
  5. Storages having a capacity of less than 50,000 MT annually
  6. Dairy units (including chilling units), with a capacity of 500 litres to 50,000 litres per day
  7. A slaughtering capacity of more than 2 but up to 50 large animals OR more than 10 and upto 150 small animals OR more than 50 but upto 1000 poultry birds per day
  8. All food processing units other than those mentioned above, including re-packers, with a daily capacity of not less than 100 litre/kg to upto 2 MT

What are the eligibility criteria for obtaining FSSAI basic registration?

Following food business operators (FBO) need to apply for FSSAI basic registration:

  1. FBO (wholesaler, distributor, supplier, retailer, food vending establishments, hawkers, club, canteen, Dhaba, hotel, restaurants, storage) with an annual turnover of upto Rs. 12 Lakhs
  2. Petty producers manufacturing by itself
  3. A makeshift stall selling food products
  4. Businesses involved in selling food at a social or religious gathering, other than a caterer
  5. Cottage industries associated with food products
  6. Manufacturing and/or processing of vegetable oil having a turnover upto Rs. 12 Lakhs annually
  7. Dairy units involved in procurement/collection/handling/chilling of milk having a capacity of not more than 500 litres per day or upto 2.5 MT of milk solids annually
  8. A slaughtering capacity of not more than 2 large animals or 10 small animals or 50 poultry birds per day
  9. All food processing units other than those mentioned above, with a daily capacity upto 100 litre/kg and annual turnover not more than Rs. 12 Lakhs

Is it necessary to have different licenses for different states?

Yes. You need to have a Central FSSAI license for place where head office is located. The other branches of the business need to have their own state FSSAI licenses.

A Food Business Operator operating in more than two States has to acquire Central License for its registered Office and separate license for each units depending upon the turnover from the concerned State/ Central Licensing Authority.

List the documents required for obtaining a FSSAI license or registration?

Documents required for FSSAI Basic Registration:

  • Form-A completely filled and signed in duplicate
  • 2 Passport size photograph of applicant
  • ID proof self attested of proprietor/partners/directors- Voter ID, Passport, Driving License, Aadhar Card
  • NOC by municipality/ panchayat
  • Health NOC


Documents required for FSSAI License (Central/State)

Form-B duly filled and signed by proprietor/partner/authorized signatory in duplicate

Layout plan of processing unit showing dimensions in mtrs./ and operation wise area allocation  (for manufacturing and processing units)

List of directors/partners/proprietor with address and contact details

Photo ID proof of proprietor/partners/directors/authorized signatory- PAN/Aadhar

List of equipments along with no., installed capacity and horse power (for manufacturing & processing units)

Address Proof of proprietor/partners/directors/authorized signatory- Aadhar Card/Voter ID/Driving License/Passport

List of food categories to be manufactured (in case of manufacturers)

Authority letter from manufacturer nominating a responsible person with name and address (in case of manufacturers)

Proof of possession of premises- Sale Deed/Rent Deed/NOC from owner & copy of Utility bill

Water Analysis Report by a recognized/public health laboratory (in case of manufacturing & processing units)

Partnership Deed/Incorporation Certificate of company with MOA & LLP agreement/ Trust Deed for Trust or Self declaration in case of proprietor

NOC & copy of license from manufacturer (in case of re-labellers & re-packers only)

Food Safety Management System Plan or certificate

Milk Procurement Plan (in case of milk & milk products processing units)

Source of meat for meat processing units

Pesticide Residue Report of water in case of packaged drinking water/carbonated water unit

Recall Plan wherever applicable

NOCs from municipality or local body (optional)

Ministry of Commerce Certificate in case of 100% EOU- [for Central License only]

Supporting documentary proof for turnover [for Central License only]

NOC/PA document issued by FSSAI [for Central License only]

IEC code issued by DGFT, if any [for Central License only]

Form IX

Certificate by Ministry of Tourism (in case of hotels)

Proof of turnover or self declaration for no. of vehicles (in case of transporters)

Declaration Form

What is the validity of FSSAI License?

FSSAI License may be applied for duration of 1 to 5 years at the choice of the applicant. Each Food Business Operator needs to apply for renewal 30 days before the expiry of current food license. If application for renewal of license is not made in stipulated time, a penalty of Rs. 100 per day is levied.

Do pharmacies selling health supplements need to apply for FSSAI License?

Yes, Pharmacies or medical stores selling health supplements and nutraceuticals have to apply for FSSAI license/registration.

Does an exporter need to have a FSSAI License for export from India?

Yes, FSSAI license is required for exporting food products from India. FSSAI License on a product indicates the safety standards as prescribed in the country have been followed.

Is there any provision for transfer of FSSAI license?

If a FSSAI license holder is deceased, the license can be transferred to his/her legal heir. The legal heir of such deceased person shall apply to the concerned authority to transfer the license in his/her name.

What is Improvement Notice & who can issue it?

If a Food Business Operator fails to comply with food safety norms as per the law, an improvement notice can be issued by a Designated Officer of the Food Safety Department. If FBO fails to comply with such improvement notice, the designated officer can suspend his license after show cause.

Can an appeal be filed against Improvement Notice, Suspension/cancellation of license?

FBO can file an appeal to the State Commissioner of Food Safety against the improvement notice or suspension/cancellation of license by designated officer. Alternatively, FBO can also approach Appellate Tribunal/High Court to challenge the notice. Time limit of appeal with Commissioner is 15 days from the date on which a notice of the decision was served.

Who will issue food license to food business operators under railway premises?

FSSAI license for food under Railways premises are issued by the Railways Designated Officers.

Who will issue license to food business operators under airport/sea port premises?

FSSAI license for food under Airport/Seaport premises are issued by APHO/PHO.

Do I need to have a separate registration under FSSAI if I deal in more than single food category?

Yes, as per the provisions of FSSAI, a separate registration is required for each product category.